Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Waiting for summer

Protea "Pink Ice"
11" x 14" Prismacolor colored pencil on Strathmore Bristol

Our California summer is slow in arriving this year, but while I was finishing this drawing, I could pretend that I was enjoying a warm, dry African climate. This is the "other" protea that I mentioned in my last post. I continue to be fascinated by the botanical world: drawing the outer part of this flower was almost identical to drawing an artichoke or a pinecone.

Speaking of Africa, I have to tell you about my new favorite children's book, Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnell. (See it over there on my sidebar?) If you're a fan of children's books, you'll know the feeling of paging through a picture book that is so wonderful that it chokes you up a bit. This book is a look at the childhood of Jane Goodall, and speaks eloquently to children about making their dreams come true. Jane Goodall has long been a hero of mine—many moons ago, I started out as a biology major in college, with visions of romping through the wild, notebook in hand, à la Jane. After a few tedious late nights in the lab, mating fruit flies, I switched to Art & Design, my other passion. (Interestingly, my son is now a field biologist, romping through the woods, notebook in hand, à la Jane.) Patrick McDonnell, best-known for his comic strip, "MUTTS", has created a masterpiece. Looking a bit like a field journal, this book treats you to his charming, sensitive illustrations enhanced by gorgeous vintage engravings behind the text, as well as some of Jane's own childhood sketches...and then there's that goosebump-inducing photo on the last page. Do yourself a favor, and get a copy of this one. Or better yet, sit down and read it with a child that you love...and get goosebumps together.

Note: I'm trying to tweak the type that I'm using for these posts. I was using a smaller type for the past couple of weeks, but it suddenly looked too small to me today. I'd appreciate any feedback as to which is more legible to you, or, being the indecisive type, I may be toggling back and forth between the two forever...UPDATE: Thanks for the feedback; I'm switching back to this larger type...for now!

19 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful! So glad I decided to stop by and visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another BEAUTY, Sarah! Your interest in things botanical, coupled with your patience and great talent, make for such fabulous illustrations. Thanks, too, for the book tip. It sounds wonderful. I will make it a point to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This a a beautiful image! Are you marketing your work to interior design firms? It seems a natural for home decor. The video was adorable. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can tell you're an expert on plants! And an expert on painting them too! These flowers are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful, Sarah! I have a soft spot botanical illustrations, and this is superb work!

    As far as the font on your blog, this type size is more legible to me -- the one from the previous post seems a bit too small.

    And I LOVE "Me...Jane" by Patrick McDonnell! I just heard him speak at Book Expo in New York, where he talked about this book. So inspiring and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah! Oh your work is superb, you capture the life of plants in a frozen moment in time, and you do such justice to nature's beauty, a very difficult art to do well and you do it superbly...!

    that book looks very interesting I am off to have a peek!

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous illustration, Sarah! Thank you for stopping by- it had been too long...and wow, your work keeps getting better and better..I love the fine details of your work and the natural beauty you capture - the fact that the leaves curl just so, and overlap here and there vs. being perfectly perfect is quite wonderful!

    Oh, the book looks to be a gem. Many thanks for your write up. Patrick McDonnell is one of my favorites and how can you not enjoy a book of Jane Goodall. How great that the art field gained you, and that the Biological field gained your son! Isn't it something how things turn out?!

    And, I do like the typesize here..easier for my eyes..thank you! always wonderful to view your work and visit. Hope the rainclouds subside soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Sarah, I admire your African botanic drawings. Last January I found, like you, a fascinating plant in our local flower shop. It had a cone as well as leaves (!). I had to do some research and found out it came from Africa. Here it is:
    http://mindfuldrawing.com/2011/01/27/cone-bush-or-leucadenron-galpinii/

    It is a cone bush and I wouldn't be surprised if your Safari Sunset slowly develops in a Cone Bush since it has the same leaves.

    'Me...Jane', the book you recommend looks lovely. We like this one equally: 'Nicky the Nature Detective' by Ulf Svedberg. A deep love for nature starts early in life with outdoor adventures and nice books.
    Congratulations with your beautiful Pink Ice.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  9. This flower is almost architectural - wonderful drawing!

    Thanks for making the font bigger - definitely better imo. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your drawings are stunningly beautiful!! I saw a review and video in the book review last week I think on 2 new children's books about Jane Goodall. It was interesting to see and hear about the different approaches the artists/authors took for each one.http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/15/books/review/childrens-books-about-jane-goodall.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=jane%20goodall&st=cse

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is stunning Sarah. I love the mottled hues on the leaves and the detail in the flower..... Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always look forward to viewing your blog each week. The botanical illustrations are amazing. Thank you for making me stop and see the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so gorgeous! Your work is so soft, yet defined. Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice texture to this...well done as always.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful illustration Sarah! I love the gorgeous botanical from the previous post too :) You have a charming style and the I love the range of colors that you use.

    I really need to get that children's book, you always have great recommendations!

    PS. Love the bigger font ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful Sarah! I really think you captured the wrinkles and folds perfectly. It's wonderful to see and read how you are approaching the Illustration Friday challenges. Great work and happy summer to you too! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. More wonderful work Sarah, I wouldn't have expected anything less though. such a life like drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great blog post. It’s useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a really good site post, im delighted I came across it.

    ReplyDelete