Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Illustration Friday: Beginner


I've done a lot of drawing, but when it comes to drawing my chickens,
I'm a beginner

Since we got them a year ago, I've spent many hours observing "the girls", but the few sketches I've done look scattered and hodgepodge-y.  I'm not fond of drawing from photos, and chickens are constantly moving.  Sure, it's easy enough to quickly get the basic shape down on paper (basically a big fluffy triangle) but it'll inevitably end up headless or footless.  So, today, I decided to just go for it. I tossed an ear of fresh corn out onto the grass, and even though the three of them were constantly jockeying for position, I settled on just drawing May.

May deserves the honor of being Chicken Model #1.  Last week, around "May Day" appropriately enough, she decided to commemorate her first birthday by taking a celebratory toddle into our pool.  Fortunately. the other two hens squawked up a storm and I ran out to find her soggy and freezing, but afloat.  (Unlike their waterfowl cousins, chickens aren't particularly buoyant.)  She was incredibly stressed (as was I) but she's a hardy gal and, by evening, looked no worse for the wear...and quite clean.

So, hopefully, this is the first sketch in a long line of chicken drawings.  It'll be a good while before I master them, but we all have to be willing to be beginners now and then. 

If you have nothing more pressing to do, and want to read more about my chickens, I have a separate little page on them here.

26 comments:

  1. This is a very lovely chicken! Looking forward to seeing more drawings of "the girls".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you really captured her, I love that you have chickens!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This a delightful chicken.Have you read Sy Montgomery's Birdology?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for introducing May and sharing your fondness for her. I look forward to getting to know the personalities of each of "the girls"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, I'd say you did a great job on your first chicken! Way to go. Here is a fun blog from the Boggy Creek Farm here in Austin. I love how she writes about her chickens. http://www.boggycreekfarm.com/pages/the-hen-house.php

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing like a good chicken...and this is one of the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone!

    Beth: I've reserved a copy of Birdology at the library...can't wait!

    Suzanne: What a blast I had touring through the Boggy Creek Farm website. Her beloved Aunt Penny looks just like my hen Charlotte. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are and May are too funny! Such an adorable story (I'm thinking a story where May takes a dip in the buff and the girls stand watch would be fun) and your sketch of her is WONDERFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although it involves my feeding chicken eggs to ravens, you might enjoy my illustrations and true stories "Is that an egg in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"in the Zenchilada food and culture mag online
    http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/08a64962#/08a64962/58

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog is filled with truly beautiful, sensitive drawings! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Penny, that's a hysterical story idea....but only if you'll do the illustrations! (I know you'd get just the right expressions on their little chicken faces...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done Sarah..... I like the simplicity. I have chickens also... 2 plymouth rocks, 1 silky and 1 frizzle. I have been tempted to draw them for awhile especially the plymouth rocks with their beautiful patterns. When I do I will let you know and then I can empathize with you....well done though... looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Years ago, when I taught a Saturday art class for children, I would have them sketch goldfish. I placed a small glass fish bowl in front of each student and had them start with quick gesture drawings...by the end of the class they had usually captured the since of movement. They also left the class with a new pet.
    Beautiful rendering, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a wonderful drawing, Sarah! I like the simplicity and efficiency of your lines. I also enjoyed your commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you've done a great job with your first drawing of a chicken. What a story to go with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have real chickens as real models! How awesome!!! Great drawing btw!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is so great! and i agree, we need that new rebel category on IF!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your work is so beautiful. You have such an eye for detail.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sarah,
    I've been away for awhile and now getting back to routine life. I love your story and your illustration of May.
    I hope this the first of many of "the girls".

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have such beautiful talent. I have chickens and wish I could capture them like this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've done a great job of drawing May, she looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Chicken drawing looks fantastic. I don't think this is the work of a begging. I can't even draw half as good as that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the chicken drawing. I wish you your draw more of these.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I also love drawing creatures and good places. I always make it to a point to scan and save my works of art in a safe folder in my computer.

    ReplyDelete