Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A Box of Chocolates

(click to enlarge)

Well, I still can't get enough of linocut printing. This latest piece that I did for Valentine's Day is another reduction print, meaning that first you carve away the areas that you want to stay the paper color. After that first color is printed (the "milk chocolate" color in this piece) you carve away the areas that you want to remain the color that you just printed, and so on. Some artists even do reduction prints of twenty or more colors! One of my favorites is Sherrie York. Her website and blog show the steps in her process so beautifully. Amazing. Ok, back to my little print...


After printing the milk chocolate and dark chocolate, I "cheated" and made a separate little block for the red heart. I was going to put a border around the image, but after playing around with it, I decided that I like it as is.


I ended up with about ten prints that turned out with varying degrees of success including the one at the top of the post, from which I've made slightly larger digital prints for my Etsy shop. I love how they turned out: I can hardly tell the difference between the original block print and the reproductions!



So, along with this Christmas one, there are now two "A Box of..."

What should be next?


3 comments:

  1. This is so interesting to learn about the printmaking process. I can see why you're enjoying it. Your chocolates are so fun and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're having fun with this. It's nice to see your mind work in different ways, though I will always love your produce :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are terrific, so bold and graphic! I can't think of anything specifically Valentine's, but jelly fruit slices or fancy butter cookies could be neat.

    ReplyDelete