Friday, September 4, 2015

Greens

Green is my favorite color. Last week I was looking for inspiration in the produce department of my grocery store when I was taken in by the beautiful way that white transitions to green in these vegetables, a head of bok choy and a leek.  I intentionally kept the white area very light; in fact I actually started with even less work in those areas than you see here. 


Prismacolor makes a pretty good range of greens (as you can see in my trusty old swatch chart) but, as is also true of their other colors, the lighter shades are much waxier (less pigment = more wax I assume) and are more difficult to blend. 

I did the bok choy first, and I was really fighting with the texture of my Stonehenge paper which is unusual. Then it dawned on me: it has a smooth side and a very slightly textured side. How had I forgotten this? So, I was careful to use the smoother side for the leek. Look at the difference (click to enlarge):


(Hey, that's the first time Blogger allowed me to place images side-by-side! 
New feature?!)

By the way, I also bought a third veggie that may round out this trio. Any guesses?

6 comments:

  1. Two of my favorite vegetables to cook are even more beautiful to view. The third vegetable? Savoy cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not what I bought, but I like your idea even better!

      Delete
  2. LOVE this! Especially how you've de-emphasized the white and let the greens tell the whole story. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I was worried that my approach with the whites wouldn't click with the viewer...so pleased that you appreciate them.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sarah, I've been following your lovely blog and I wanted to ask if you are a certified botanical artist? I just signed up for a botanical illustration program that is no longer a certificate program and I would like to hear your opinion about certification and what the benefits are or are not. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra! Thank you for your kind comments. No, I'm not a certified botanical artist, and I'm afraid I'm not much help, as I don't really know the pros and cons of certification. Perhaps the ASBA website might have some info? www.asba-art.org

      Delete