Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Welcome

Considering my love of advent calendars, it seems only fitting that I am writing my first post on December 1. This blog will allow me to share my drawings, but I'm equally excited to be joining  the online art community. As I've started spending more time drawing, I've been inspired by many artists that I've discovered online, particularly illustrators who work in pencil and colored pencil, and I hope to devote some future posts to them. What inspires me? Why do I work in pencil? What drives a person to draw a pile of chestnuts? Stay tuned. 

In the meantime, here's a drawing for today. I have a thing for pinecones. My basement stash of the little beauties, hauled back from many summer vacations at Lake Tahoe, causes my family to shake their heads and chuckle. But I dug this one out of that stash, and loved really looking at it and drawing it. Pinecones, like most forms in nature, are amazing, elegant structures. Enjoy...I'm off to open that first door on this year's advent calendar!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful drawing of an extremely challenging subject! I about went cross eyed trying to concentrate on which 'leaf' of the cone I was on when I drew one!
    Brave soul, you!

    ReplyDelete