Friday, December 3, 2010

Learning to see...again


I've always loved to draw. I drew as a child, took lots of art classes in high school and majored in design in college. During my career as an interior designer and then as a graphic designer, I usually just drew as needed for my job, but rarely made time to draw for the sheer joy of it. When I started to get seriously back into drawing about six months ago, I felt out of practice. Like playing a musical instrument or enjoying a sport, without frequent use, one's skills get rusty.

 Luckily for me, I happened upon the blog of an artist named Paul Foxton, who lives and works in Surrey, England. In his blog, "Learning to See - A Journey Back to Painting", he talked about getting back into art after a lapse. His drawings, especially his still life work and his cafe sketches, really inspired me to get off the computer and dig out my sketch pad. (I later discovered that he has another portfolio website that's full of his beautiful work.) Recently, after drawing some gorgeous local walnuts, I realized how reminiscent they are of Mr Foxton's work. Once again, it's time to get off the computer, but it occurs to me that I owe someone a thank-you email first....

No comments:

Post a Comment