Sunday, May 10, 2015

Two Envelopes


(Prismacolor colored pencil on Stonehenge paper)
click to enlarge


It's sometimes hard to explain why we draw what we do. I suppose that many people will wonder why I drew these two envelopes. But I can only explain that I love paper and things made from paper, and when I saw this black envelope lying next to the white one, it looked rather beautiful to my eye. 

The black envelope became more of a grey one in the final drawing. I might have used graphite but chose to use colored pencil and I liked the cross-hatched grey tone I was getting. I think that the white envelope might have been more successful in graphite, though. Next time.

I tend to anthropomorphize things while I'm drawing them: a group of tomatoes becomes a family; some ground cherries are proud parents; even an eggplant becomes a Jane Austen heroine. I see something here as well—do you

A couple of WIP shots. (I think I like the second one as well as the finished product.)



No comments:

Post a Comment